I don’t know about you, but I love pie! I grew up with some amazing pie bakers in my family, so pie was a common dessert. But since recently adjusting my eating habits to gluten free, and less sugar, I’ve also had to rework some of my favorite recipes. Berry pie is always one of my favorite summer pies and this Mixed Berry Pie is great because you can really adjust what kind of berries you want to use. It’s pretty easy and oh so yummy!
- 2 cups almond flour, or flour of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cold water
- ½ cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup halved fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 1-2 drops of lemon essential oil
- 1 drop of cinnamon bark essential oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough into two portions.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, whisk honey, coconut flour and water until smooth; add blueberries and blackberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Gently fold raspberries, strawberries, and essential oils into the cooled berry mixture. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to smaller pie plates. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.